Seminar – Muscle Strength Testing
Who: Current health professionals and others who have already studied human anatomy (PT, yoga instructor, DC, MD, DO, ND, personal trainers, athletic trainers, nurses, coaches etc.)
When: October 19 & 20 9am – 4pm
Where: 65 Harbor Beach Rd.
Miller Place, Long Island, NY
Enjoy the abundance of the season. The leaves are changing, the farms are harvesting, the wineries are open!
The seminar is located on the Long Island Sound, 4 miles from quaint downtown Port Jefferson village and Cross Sound ferry. Easy access for Connecticut, Massachusetts, Westchester, and New Jersey. We are 13 miles from the Long Island North Fork winery gateway in Baiting Hollow. Also in the area are local farms offering fresh fruits and vegetables, pumpkin picking, corn mazes, and spooky walks. YIKES! Or if you wish, walk along the quiet beachfront collecting shells.
Where to stay suggestions:
Danfords in Port Jefferson, NY
Miller Place Ark BnB
We can send more suggestions upon your request.
Cost: $300 if registered by 10/1/13, $350 thru 10/18, $450 at the door
Why learn Balanced Muscle Strength Testing?
- Better athletic performance – Olympic & top professional athletes get extensive work on muscle strength balancing to maximize their power, speed and endurance.
- Injury prevention – Whether you are a top athlete, a couch potato, or anywhere in between, having balanced muscle strength around each your joints means you will get fewer injuries.
- Disease prevention – Research shows a connection between chronic muscle strength imbalance and osteoarthritis (the ‘wear and tear’ form of arthritis). Detecting and correcting muscle strength imbalances can help prevent osteoarthritis, the number 2 reason for doctors office visits.
- Set yourself apart – If you are currently a professional in the competitive health or fitness field, you know that many therapists do not do diagnostic testing before starting clients on exercise or treatment programs. Doing diagnostic tests on your clients before beginning a therapy program helps demonstrate that the exercises you are recommending, are the ones your clients truly need.
This seminar will review the anatomy, bio-mechanics, physiology, procedures and legal environment to perform 12 manual muscle strength tests in the lower limbs. This seminar will cover all of the content included in our full educational course on the topic, but will present the material rapidly. Ideally suited for those with at least some familiarity of muscle anatomy. Muscle tests will be demonstrated and time will be allotted for Q & A as well as practice practical exams.
Note: This seminar package does not include any certification exam components. (i.e. written, practical or applied exams) If after taking this seminar series you are interested in becoming certified in Balanced Muscle Strength Testing: Legs: Screener, you may purchase the certification exam package separately.
Who is this Seminar Review package designed for?
- Experienced – For current health professionals and others who have already studied human anatomy or learned muscle strength testing through other venues. This review will cover key concepts enabling them to use muscle strength testing in their field. For those wishing to follow up with certification, this review may be all that study necessary prior to taking the DxF certification exams.
- Recap – For those who are new to muscle strength testing, but have already taken a DxF self study course on this topic. This review will help you prioritize and reinforce the concepts, vocabulary and techniques prior to taking the certification exams.
Miller Place, Long Island, NY (beachfront location)
Clothing & Supplies:
Sunday, you will be doing & receiving muscle tests on your legs. Wear comfortable clothing that you could lay on the floor with. (leggings, yoga wear, exercise clothing)
Bring a yoga mat or something comparable.
Included with this seminar: Online & Download elements
* Drill packages: 17 modules to reinforce the content covered in the seminar
* Practice exams: 2 exams to test your retention of the seminar content
Download Elements: (as Adobe PDF)
* Seminar notes – The course content presented in 19 modules
* Forms – Sample forms for use during muscle strength testing & screening
* These items will be made available online to participants when they register.
People that would benefit from this information include:
- Fitness instructors and body workers: Personal trainers, yoga instructors, massage therapist, group exercise instructors (spin, zumba, pilates), Alexander, etc.
- Sports: Coaches, trainers, athletes (runners, cyclists, team sports)
- Individuals: Office workers, musicians, construction, sales, etc.…
- Allied health professional: Physician assistants, physical therapists, nurse practitioners, podiatrists, etc.
- Practicing physicians: MD, DO, DC, ND
The instructor for this seminar is Dr. John Wallman, president of the Diagnosis Foundation. He is a chiropractic physician specializing in muscular diagnosis and treatments for over 30 years and has experience muscle testing thousand’s of patients. He is the author of the Balanced Muscle Strength Testing curriculum for the DxF.
Anatomy & Biomechanics:
Muscle Names: 1-12
Bone Names: Lower Limb
Anatomy Regions: Lower Limbs
Bone Landmarks: Muscle Tests 1-12
Origin/Insertion/Action: Muscles 1-12
Introduction to Muscle Actions
Introduction to Balanced Muscle Strength Testing (BMST)
Muscle Strength Testing Technique
Muscle Strength & Pain Measurement Scales
Muscle Tests: 1-12
Education Technology for BMST
Screening vs. Diagnosis & Confidentiality
Intro to the Diagnosis Foundation
Other BMST course formats
People wanting to take this course live in many parts of the world and everybody learns in different ways. To help you master muscle testing in a way that works best for you, we’ve created the following formats for the educational course:
See in the DxF Shop:
Other BMST packages
Depending on your level of muscle testing experience, knowledge of the body and career goals, there are different BMST packages available:
- Certification Course – Includes both the educational content and the certification exams. For those who want a thorough presentation of the BMST material as well as documentation of competence &/or access to DxF programs and careers. Online, CD, Printed, Webinar, Seminar
- Educational Course only – for those who want the BMST information, but do not need the documentation of competence, cannot access the exam locations and do not intend to participate in follow up DxF programs and careers. Online, CD, Printed, Webinar, Seminar
- Certification Exams only – for those who are already thoroughly familiar with the course content, and just want documentation of competence &/or access to the DxF programs and careers.
- Review only – for those who want a rapid presentation of the course content, but do not need the documentation of competence or cannot access the exam locations. Reviews are currently available in webinar & seminar formats.
Other BMST Study Tools
These may add these to one of the courses to help you master the materials or prepare for the certification exams.
Why take the Certification Exams? (These are not included in this package.)
- Public confidence – Certification demonstrates to the public your commitment and competence to do this type of testing.
- DxF Screening Program – Certification is required for those of you wishing to participate in the DxF screening program as an examiner. Participating in DxF sponsored screens builds your experience in muscle strength testing and gives your health or fitness business public exposure.
- Muscle Assessment Careers – The current BMS screener level course lays the foundation for establishing a muscle testing service in conjunction with other health or fitness organizations. With future courses from the DxF, you may be able to establish your own independent muscle strength testing business.
- DxF Affiliation – The DxF will be affiliating with organization for educational, testing and research programs. Affiliation requirements for some of these programs include having some members of the staff certified in DxF testing procedures.
Note: Continuing education is a required part of re-certification every 2 years to maintain current status.
Any questions? Please contact: Info@DxFoundation.org.