If interested in scheduling a free screening event at your organization or event, contact Info@DxFoundation.org or click here.
What: Free screens are currently available for either the arm or leg regions. Each participant in this screen will receive a 1-rep max strength test on 12 isolated muscles of both their right & left limbs. Each screen takes 5-10 minutes.
Why: The muscles included in the screening program represent approximately 25% of the muscles in each region and were selected for their frequent involvement as factors in athletic performance, injury prevention and overall health. Additional information regarding benefits of balanced muscle strength screening are available on this unsolicited endorsement by the head coach of the NYIT Cross Country team.
Who: The Balanced Muscle Strength (BMS) screening is being offered to a wide range of venues. Athletic teams, dance troupes, fitness clubs, sporting events (races, fun runs, bike events, etc), health fairs, yoga studios, business organizations, libraries, and more.
Screening Formats: This testing program is being offered in 2 different formats:
- Screening Only – Participants schedule their screening appointments on a space available basis at the event.
- Presentation + Screening – The screening for all participants is preceded by a 30 minute talk about the significance of muscle strength & balance in health & performance.
Why: Muscle imbalances are implicated in a wide range of health and performance issues.
- Health – Joint clicking, ligament laxity and cartilage damage are common symptoms of muscle imbalances. If allowed to persist, osteoarthritis and even rheumatoid arthritis may develop.
- Performance – Balanced muscle strength around each joint is required to maintain bio-mechanical alignment and stability. As muscle strength imbalances around a joint increase, power, speed and endurance will suffer. In addition, recovery after exertion slows down and injuries increase.
Causes: Abnormal findings in BMS screenings may simply be the result of the accumulated activities that each person participates in on a daily basis. Over time, regularly used muscles get stronger, while unused muscles get weaker. Other potential causes for abnormal finding could include: previous injuries, post surgical, neurological, vascular, genetic or metabolic issues.
Follow Up: All participants with abnormal findings are instructed to contact their current health care provider for diagnosis of the cause of their muscular imbalances and appropriate treatment. Participants without a current provider will be referred to the DxProvider data base for practitioners who have DxF certification, or training / experience with individual muscle strength testing, diagnosis and treatment methods.
Cost: The first screening event at each venue is being offered to participants in the Metro NY area during the introductory period at no cost when there are at least 8 people screened. Repeat screenings may have a charge. Contact us for details.
Where: Metro NY area, USA
When: Winter 2013/2014
Example: Here is what a screening event might look like.
- 2-3 staff members and volunteers from the DxF come to your club, business or athletic event.
- They set up a literature & exam table.
- They test members of your staff / trainers (preferred), friends and/or clients on 12 individual muscles of the each leg for strength (manual muscle testing, 1 rep max)
- Each person tested gets a copy of their results.
- People with abnormal results are referred to the club’s or their personal health providers.
- Optional: The DxF staff can give a 15 – 60 minute workshop before or after the screening on the importance of muscle strength imbalance testing and what the results could mean.
- They clean up and leave. Total time: 1-2 hours of testing + workshop if desired.
Venues interested in scheduling a screening should contact Pamela at: PWallman@DxFoundation.org