Note: This package includes the educational course only. No certification process is included.
The educational content of this package is a printed, self study course teaching you the anatomy, bio-mechanics, physiology, procedures and legal environment to perform 12 muscle strength tests in the lower limbs. Successfully learning the 12 leg muscle strength tests covered in this course will enable you to perform these tests in your health or fitness business (depending on your state laws). This course will also serve as the beginning of the education process that will eventually enable you to affiliate with another health or fitness providers to perform muscle strength testing as part of their health team.
Why learn Balanced Muscle Strength Testing?
- Better athletic performance – Olympic & top professional athletes get extensive work on muscle strength balancing to maximize their power, speed and endurance.
- Injury prevention – Whether you are a top athlete, a couch potato, or anywhere in between, having balanced muscle strength around each your joints means you will get fewer injuries.
- Disease prevention – Research shows a connection between chronic muscle strength imbalance and osteoarthritis (the ‘wear and tear’ form of arthritis). Detecting and correcting muscle strength imbalances can help prevent osteoarthritis, the number 2 reason for doctors office visits.
- Set yourself apart – If you are currently a professional in the competitive health or fitness field, you know that many therapists do not do diagnostic testing before starting clients on exercise or treatment programs. Doing diagnostic tests on your clients before beginning a therapy program helps demonstrate that the exercises you are recommending, are the ones your clients truly need.
Printed Elements: Over 500 pages includes:
Course presentation – 19 modules of the educational content
Drill Lists – 17 lists of key terms, definitions and concepts coordinated with their course modules
Quizzes – 30 quizzes in matching format coordinated with each course module
Flash cards – 100 cards to drill on key terms
Practice exams – 2 exams similar to the final certification written exam in content and format (PDF)
Forms – Sample forms to use for recording test results during examinations and screenings (PDF)
Who is this course designed for?
This course is designed for individuals studying manual muscle strength testing for the first time. It also has enough depth to satisfy the experienced muscle tester looking for a detailed review and new muscle testing variants. Muscle testing can be incorporated into your current health programs and can lay the foundation for an independent or integrated muscle testing service. People that would benefit from this information include:
- Fitness instructors and body workers: Personal trainers, yoga instructors, massage therapist, group exercise instructors (spin, zumba, pilates), Alexander, etc.
- Sports: Coaches, trainers, athletes (runners, cyclists, team sports)
- Individuals: Office workers, musicians, construction, sales, etc.…
- Allied health professional: Physician assistants, physical therapists, nurse practitioners, podiatrists, etc.
- Practicing physicians: MD, DO, DC, ND
Anatomy & Biomechanics:
Muscle Names: 1-12
Bone Names: Lower Limb
Anatomy Regions: Lower Limbs
Bone Landmarks: Muscle Tests 1-12
Origin/Insertion/Action: Muscles 1-12
Introduction to Muscle Actions
Introduction to Balanced Muscle Strength Testing (BMST)
Muscle Strength Testing Technique
Muscle Strength & Pain Measurement Scales
Muscle Tests: 1-12
Education Technology for BMST
Screening vs. Diagnosis & Confidentiality
Intro to the Diagnosis Foundation
Other BMST course formats
People wanting to take this course live in many parts of the world and everybody learns in different ways. To help you master muscle testing in a way that works best for you, we’ve created the following formats for the educational course:
See in the DxF Shop:
Other BMST packages
Depending on your level of muscle testing experience, knowledge of the body and career goals, there are different BMST packages available:
- Certification Course – Includes both the educational content and the certification exams. For those who want a thorough presentation of the BMST material as well as documentation of competence &/or access to DxF programs and careers. Online, CD, Printed, Webinar, Seminar
- Educational Course only – for those who want the BMST information, but do not need the documentation of competence, cannot access the exam locations and do not intend to participate in follow up DxF programs and careers. Online, CD, Printed, Webinar, Seminar
- Certification Exams only – for those who are already thoroughly familiar with the course content, and just want documentation of competence &/or access to the DxF programs and careers.
- Review only – for those who want a rapid presentation of the course content, but do not need the documentation of competence or cannot access the exam locations. Reviews are currently available in webinar & seminar formats.
Other BMST Study Tools
These may add these to one of the courses to help you master the materials or prepare for the certification exams.
Why take the Certification Exams? (These are not included in this package.)
- Public confidence – Certification demonstrates to the public your commitment and competence to do this type of testing.
- DxF Screening Program – Certification is required for those of you wishing to participate in the DxF screening program as an examiner. Participating in DxF sponsored screens builds your experience in muscle strength testing and gives your health or fitness business public exposure.
- Muscle Assessment Careers – The current BMS screener level course lays the foundation for establishing a muscle testing service in conjunction with other health or fitness organizations. With future courses from the DxF, you may be able to establish your own independent muscle strength testing business.
- DxF Affiliation – The DxF will be affiliating with organization for educational, testing and research programs. Affiliation requirements for some of these programs include having some members of the staff certified in DxF testing procedures.
Note: Continuing education is a required part of re-certification every 2 years to maintain current status.
Any questions? Please contact: Info@DxFoundation.org.